A new study performed by the Veterans United Home Loans organization chose St. Louis as a top city for veterans to live and buy a home.
St. Louis came in 5th place right behind Oklahoma City, OK.
The purpose of the list was to narrow down the list of potential cities based on the main concerns veterans face.
Each variable in the survey was sorted into one of three weight categories: high importance to veterans, medium importance to veterans and low importance to veterans. Each city’s final score was determined by its ranking in each of the 17 variables multiplied by that variable’s weight.
Each year thousands of Veterans transition out of their respective careers to face the large task of adjusting to civilian life.
Some of the top challenges faced are the employment picture and a place they can call home. Each city chosen for this list was put through a grid of 17 different variables/concerns expressed by veterans and scored accordingly.
High Importance to Veterans
- Veteran unemployment rate
- Median home price
- Percentage of monthly income spent on monthly home payment
- Percentage of monthly income spent on rent
- Percentage of veterans living below poverty line
- Veteran population as a proportion of total population
- Cost of living compared to national average
- Job growth percentage (as of 2013)
- Educational attainment (percentage of citizens with high school diploma or higher)
Medium Importance to Veterans
- Proximity of military bases within 100 miles
- Number of veteran-owned businesses per 1,000 people
- Number of VA hospital or outpatient clinics within 50 miles
See Homes for Sale Within 10 Miles of Jefferson Barracks VA Medical Center
- GreatSchools rating
- Civilian unemployment rate
The Top 10 Cities for Veterans
The final rankings were determined by each city’s total score, with the lowest score winning it all. Here are Veterans United’s Top 10 Cities for Veterans to Live:
Congratulations to St. Louis Ranked #5 in the Top 10 List
Are you looking for a great affordable place to live? Check out St. Louis and the family friendly areas surrounding our community. Why not start your search now? Start Here
Finding Homes for You appreciates your service to the country and will fight for you to find your next home. We only work for Buyers and your interests will always rank first.